Heartburn can be very devastating. The sharp, shooting pain that rise through the chest reaching the throat tends to rip the chest apart.
Most of the adults suffer from heartburn at some point in their lives. It is rather a very common condition. There are several things that can be blamed for the timely occurrence of heartburn but, things can never be so worse if you know the management of heartburn. Rushing to the doctor is not always needed as you have the treatment at your home. There are several home remedies that come to your rescue and help you to control heartburn.
14 Home Remedies for Heartburn
1. Baking Soda
Sodium bicarbonate works wonder to tackle heartburn at the earliest. It helps to manage the burning, gnawing and the sensation of the acid reflux. As baking soda is a base substance it helps in neutralizing the acid. The pH of baking soda is 7.0. For this remedy, you would need half or one teaspoon baking soda and some water.
- Take a glass of water.
- Mix half or one teaspoon of baking soda in water (only around 8 ounces, not more).
- Mix it well and drink.
Do not take more than 7 half teaspoon doses in a day and do not use this remedy for more than a week as it can lead to adverse effects like nausea or swelling.
The pH of lemon juice is about 2. It is more acidic as compared to vinegar. Also, the extra benefit is that lemon is loaded with many nutrients like vitamin C. It helps amazingly in heartburn and helps in relieving the pain.
- Take a lemon and squeeze it in a glass of water.
- Drink it to get relief from heartburn.
- You can also drink shots by taking one- fourth cup of water and one organic lemon’s juice.
Do not use this remedy regularly as organic lemon is very acidic and it can harm the enamel of the teeth.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is the favorite ingredient of many home remedies. It not just helps you with skin problems, burns and hair issues but, also helps to a great extent in dealing with heartburn.
Aloe vera helps in soothing inflammation and helps in soothing the inflamed and irritated stomach and esophagus. The juice of aloe vera is enough to gracefully deal with heartburn.
- Take half cup of aloe vera juice.
- Cool it or drink it at room temperature before having your meal.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV is also very effective in the management of heartburn and acid reflux. Apple cider vinegar is very acidic and many people might doubt the effectiveness of this remedy for the treatment of extra acid in the stomach.
Many times acid reflux occurs due to the absence of acid in the stomach. In this condition, the lower esophageal sphincter loosens up. In this condition taking acid orders the LES to tighten up and perform its duty, and helping the heartburn to subside by preventing the reflux.
- Take three teaspoons or one tablespoon of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
- Mix it into six to eight ounces of fresh water.
- Take it before meals, before hitting the bed or two to three times a day. It is best to take it before a meal.
If you experience the exacerbation of the reflux, discontinue the use.
5. Chewing Gum
Sugar- free chewing gum chewed for about half an hour after taking meal helps in relieving heartburn. This fact is backed by a study conducted by The Journal of Dental Research.
Chewing gum helps in stimulating the salivary glands. This causes an increased flow of saliva. The saliva dilutes the acid inside the stomach. It also leads to clearance of acid from the stomach and gives a complete relief from heartburn.
- Take a piece of sugar-free gum.
- Chew it for half an hour after taking your meal.
Susan Blum, MD (founder and director of Blum Centre of Health, NY) states that licorice is a remedy for heartburn. Though their limited research to back this claim, you can use it in cases of heartburn. Licorice helps in healing the stomach.
- Take DLG licorice tablets prior to the meals.
DLG licorice tablets are easily available in the stores.
7. Gingerroot Tea
Ginger root tea is a very effective home remedy for heartburn. It helps in soothing the stomach and helps in dealing with various issues like acid reflux, nausea, etc. Taking ginger root tea 20 minutes prior to meals would work as an acid buffer and prevents heartburn.
- Take gingerroot’s three-quarter slices and two cups of water
- Simmer water adding slices of gingerroot’s three-quarter sized pieces
- Covered the pan for half an hour
- Pour the tea into a glass. You can remove the pieces or let them stay.
- Drink this tea twenty minutes prior to taking a meal.
8. Banana or Apple
This is perhaps the easiest home remedy for heartburn. Bananas are rich in natural antacids. They act as buffers against acid reflux. Apple also helps in relieving heartburn.
- Ripen some bananas and eat one daily.
- Slice an apple and eat it a few hours before bedtime.
9. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm is a natural remedy for GERD. It has been one of the most popular herbal remedies that have been used extensively for the management of heartburn. The extracts of slippery elm work by thickening the mucous lining of the stomach.
- Take a couple of teaspoons of slippery elm.
- Mix it in water.
- Take it after meals and before bedtime.
Mustard has alkaline properties. It is rich in minerals. It helps in neutralizing acid present in the stomach. Taking mustard straight in the middle of the bout will offer you quick positive results.
- Take a teaspoon of yellow mustard
- Take it straight in your mouth to experience positive results.
11. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is very helpful in the natural management of heartburn. Taking this tea half an hour before bedtime brings down the inflammation is stomach and balances the acidity. Also, it helps in relieving stress which could be the triggering factor of heartburn.
- Boil one cup of water
- Reduce the heat and add a teaspoon of dried petals of chamomile flower
- Let the tea on simmer for about seconds.
- Remove from the heat and let the tea stay for a minute before straining.
- Pour into a mug and add lemon or honey
Almonds are also very effective in heartburn. Eating them after every meal helps in neutralizing the acid in the stomach.
- Take three to four almonds after every meal.
13. Betaine HCL
HCL forms the major component of acid inside the stomach. But, certain factors like stress, age, infection, nutritional deficiencies seize the formation of enough HCL. This leads to fermentation of food resulting in heartburn pains.
- Take Betaine HCL supplement regularly to help your stomach in making enough HCL.
- If pain occurs after having a meal, take extra Betaine HCL and wait for about 20 minutes. If pain persists take another pill.
Do not take this supplement if you are taking PPIs, NSAIDs and H2 blockers.
14. Other Remedies
- Heartburn is more likely to occur during the night. Lay chin up. Keep your head elevated about 6 inches when you sleep.
- Do not sleep within three to four hours of eating a meal.
- Eat smaller bites.
- Avoid spicy food and food rich in acids.
- Don’t wear tight fitting clothes.
- Say no to smoking and alcohol.
Heartburn is common and can be very disturbing. It causes intense pain. It occurs when the muscle, lower esophageal sphincter (LES) that is situated at the junction of esophagus and stomach fails to stop the food inside the stomach and it regurgitates to the esophagus. The stomach acid tends to go back to the throat and as the throat is not lined by protective cell lining, the acid can lead to inflammation. It also tends to damage the unprotected lining.
Heartburn can be due to various factors. They are:
- Carbonated beverages
- Drugs like Buprofen (Avil, Motrin, Nuprin, et al), Aspirin (Bayer, et al), Naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn), et al.
- Acidic food like oranges, tomatoes, grapefruit, et al
- High- fat content foods
- Pregnancy can also trigger heartburn
- A hiatus hernia is also a risk factor
- Primary diseases of esophagus like sarcoidosis and scleroderma
But, the best thing is that heartburn can be easily managed by using the above mentioned natural home remedies for heartburn.
The ingredients used in all these remedies are easily available in the kitchen and also all the methods are easy to follow and really very quick and effective.