Has the regret of drinking excess alcohol set in? The pain of hangover is not at all fun. It affects both at a physiological and psychological level. Hangover usually lasts for less than a day but all those hours accompanied with headaches, moodiness, tiredness, shaking, and feeling of nausea can be unbearable.
image: shutterstock By Antonio Guillem
The key cause of a hangover is the way in which alcohol interacts with the body. It drops the blood sugar level, expands blood vessels and dehydrates the body. Also, it interferes with the digestive process and secretes more acid which gives the sensation of vomiting and stomach aches. Feeling drowsy and sleepy the next day are very common effects of over intake of alcohol. Getting rid of a hangover is easier than you might feel. Using a natural home remedy is all it takes to bounce back to normal.
Below are different natural home remedies for curing hangovers.
1. Eat a Banana to Cure a Hangover
Banana contains various minerals and vitamins including Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Potassium, Magnesium, Folate, and Manganese. Consumption of alcohol leads to decrease of potassium and magnesium in the body, so having a banana is a great way to cure a hangover. Bananas are easy to eat which makes them the best friend for people suffering from hangovers.
2. Drink water and Hydrate your Body
Advice to drink more water needs no introduction. It hydrates your body and flushes leftover alcohol from the body. Drink about 6 to 7 glasses of water throughout the day. Many claims, drinking a lot of water after getting up from the bed, subsides a lot of symptoms of a hangover.
3. Lemon Juice
The antioxidants in Lemon break down the alcohol and detoxify the body. Also, Lemon’s hepatoprotective property can save the liver from damage among heavy drinkers. Drinking Lemon juice is refreshing and cures excess acid in the stomach.
Lemon Juice Recipe
- Slice a lemon into two halves
- Squeeze a half to extract lemon juice in a glass
- Fill the glass with warm water
- Add a tsp of honey
You can prepare this recipe multiple times a day to get relief from hangover symptoms.
Fructose in ginger accelerates the process of flushing alcohol out from the blood and helps to reduce the sensation of nausea. Also, it relieves headaches. Ginger soothes and relaxes the intestinal tract and prevents indigestion. If you have pickled ginger at home, chew a piece of it to get the benefit of ginger during hangovers. Another way is to prepare ginger tea.
- Take 10 to 12 slices of ginger root in a pan
- Add 4 cups of water
- Boil it for 15 minutes
- Add fresh Lemon and Orange juice
- Add 2 tsp of honey
5. Consume Light and Watery Foods
On the day of a hangover, your digestive system may not be functioning at its best. So consuming light and watery foods ease the digestive system to process the food. This decreases the risk of experiencing nausea and stomachaches. Have soups and porridge. Do not overload your stomach with heavy foods.
- In a non-stick pan, boil the water
- Pour 2.5 tablespoons of oatmeal and keep stirring until the mixture starts to boil again
- Cover the pan, reduce the flame and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add salt and stir for 10 minutes until it gains a gooey thick consistency
6. Sports drinks
Sports drinks are packed with minerals and ions, which help to balance the glucose and electrolytes in the body. As the body regains the lost ions, it starts to feel better and energized. Tiredness and shaking are mainly caused due to depletion of ions in the body and drinking a sports drink cures it. There are natural sports drinks available on the counter but you can prepare your own herbal sports to drink at home.
Coconut Electrolyte Drink
- Take a 2 quart of coconut water
- Add 2 tsp of calcium magnesium powder
- Add ½ cup of Apple, Grape, Lime, or Pineapple juice
- Add ½ Tsp of common salt
- Keep it to chill in fridge
7. Ice compression
If you have a headache, using ice compression is an excellent way to get quick and temporary relief. Studies have shown that ice compression is analgesic in its action. It numbs the tissue, slows the pain signals and lessens the pain.
Simple Ice compression
- Crush 2 cubes of ice in a blender
- Pour the bits into a soft towel
- Place it against your head
Tomato juice is highly effective in countering hangovers. It contains Vitamin C, A, lycopene, and beta-carotene which help to easily metabolize alcohol and recover electrolytes in the body. Having tomato Juice or soup is the best way to do it.
- Add 6 tsp of olive oil in a saucepan
- Light up the stove to medium heat
- Add 1 chopped red onion
- Add 2 diced carrots
- Keep it to saute for 10 minutes until its tender
- Add garlic and cook the mixture for 1 minute
- Add 3 tsp of tomato paste
- Add 8 basil leaves
- Add 3 cups of chicken broth – low sodium
- Add 2 tsp of salt and ¼ tsp of black pepper
- Add ¾ cup of almond milk- unsweetened
- Wash the tomatoes, cut them in quarters and put them in a pan
- Add chopped 1 ¼ cups of celery leaves
- Add chopped 1/3 cup of onion
- Add 6 tsp of sugar
- Add 1 tsp of salt
- Add a pinch of black pepper
- Add 7 to 8 drops of Tabasco sauce
- Cook and simmer the mixture for 20 minutes until it is soupy
- Let it cool
Peppermint is known for its relaxing property. It soothes the nervous system and prevents the inflammation of the intestine. It is effective against migraines and painstaking headaches caused by a hangover. Peppermint has menthol, which relaxes the stomach and aids digestion. It decreases the symptoms of a hangover including vomiting and nausea. Drinking Peppermint tea or peppermint water clears the alcohol fumes from your head and makes you feel almost instantly better.
- Take a glass of warm water
- Add 4 to 5 drops of peppermint oil
10. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling clears the breath of alcohol by cleaning your mouth and teeth. It detoxifies the body within 20 minutes of doing it. Put 3 tsp of coconut oil in your mouth and swish with it for 5 minutes. Spit the oil and rinse your mouth with water. You can do this on an empty stomach after waking up with a hangover in the morning.
Like ginger, honey contains fructose, which helps to neutralize the alcohol and reduce its effect. Having 3 tsp of honey while on hangover helps to awaken and recover from it. Drinking tea contained with honey provides more benefits including good digestion and relief from headaches.
Honey and Lemon Tea
- Take 3 tsp of Lemon juice in a glass
- Add 2 tsp of honey
- Add hot water and stir the mixture
- Add more honey if required
Eggs are rich in protein and B12. It helps to alleviate tiredness and feeling of nausea during a hangover. The cysteine contained in the yolk of an egg helps to reduce the harmful effects of alcohol on the liver. Prepare an omelet, boiled egg or poached egg and have it during the breakfast.
- Crack 2 large eggs in a small bowl and whisk thoroughly
- Add some salt and black pepper
- Heat 1 tsp of butter or oil in a pan
- Pour the eggs and let it cook for 30 seconds
- With a spatula turn the omelet
- After 30 seconds turn off the heat
Toast is a simple breakfast recipe. It contains carbohydrates, which increases the blood sugar level and helps you with lowered blood sugar level from the hangover. Eating a toast with honey and drinking a fruit juice provides a great relief from a hangover.
- Crack 2 eggs in a shallow bowl
- Add milk, cinnamon sugar, vanilla and whisk until frothy
- Immerse the slice of bread in the egg mixture on both sides
- In a heated pan with added oil, cook it until golden brown
- Consume moderate quantity of alcohol. Make a note on alcohol quantity on which you got a hangover the last time and consume half of it the next time.
- Generally, women are advised to consume less than 12(1-unit) ounces of alcohol a day and men less than 24 (2 units) ounces.
- Avoid the type of alcohol, which makes gives you the most hangover
- Do not drink alcohol on an empty stomach. Have carbohydrate-rich food before you drink, but have food in moderate quantities to avoid nausea. This slows the absorption of alcohol
- Do not mix your drink with carbonated water. It speeds the absorption process. Use drinking water or juices to dilute the alcohol whenever necessary
- Do not consume alcohol if you have taken medication in the past few hours. This can lead to unwanted side effects and damage to liver