Are few hours of work leaving you tired and fatigued? Do you feel burned out faster than your friends or family? You should check if your body is experiencing adrenal fatigue. Adrenal Fatigue is characterized by chronic stress in the body, which leads to weakened immunity, exhaustion, food cravings, sleeplessness and craving for food. The cause of adrenal fatigue is lowering the neurotransmitters and hormones that keep the body ground. The symptoms of adrenal fatigue include low blood pressure, dry skin, lower body temperature, lethargy, depression and frequent urination.
People with adrenal fatigue often neglect the condition by considering it as common tiredness. It is estimated that over 80 percent of people in the US do not know that they have adrenal fatigue. It reduces efficiency in everyday activities and increases stress in life. Adrenal fatigue is associated with glands located on the top of kidneys called adrenal glands. These glands are tiny in size and they secrete the hormone, DHEA that is responsible for triggering headaches, insomnia, congestion, and fatigue. The prescription medications in treating adrenal fatigue usually suppress the function of adrenal glands, which can bring in unnecessary side effects. The best way to treat this problem is to eliminate the causes that trigger the adrenal glands to secrete this hormone. This can be done by following natural home remedies and making a few healthy lifestyle changes. Below are various ways to cure adrenal fatigue, gradually and naturally.
1. Have anti-inflammatory diet
When you have adrenal fatigue, it is important to have an anti-inflammatory diet consisting of lean proteins, anti-oxidant phytonutrients, healthy fibers, good fats and fermented foods. If you have allergies, which happen due to the intake of certain foods, avoid them in your diet. Here are some foods that fight inflammation and oxidation in the body
- Green Leafy Vegetables such as collards, kale, and spinach
- Nuts such as walnuts and almonds
- Fish like tuna, salmon, mackerel, and sardines
- Fruits such as cherries, strawberries, oranges, and
2. Breathe Deep
Breathing deep into your diaphragm makes your body calm and peaceful. It improves your posture and concentration. Follow a few deep breathing patterns to keep your body calm and decrease adrenal fatigue.
3. Intake of foods rich in Zinc, Magnesium and B vitamins
Optimize the intake of magnesium and zinc-rich foods to balance the blood sugar and calming the stress signals. One of the natural sources of magnesium and zinc is pumpkin seeds. Moreover, shakes made from green powders also contain a good amount of these nutrients. Consuming organic meat twice a week increases the amount of magnesium and zinc in the body.
4. Boost blood circulation by dry brushing the skin
Dry brushing is an Ayurvedic practice to boost the activity of lymphatic system and enhance blood circulation. It detoxifies the body and stimulates and endorphins to make you feel good. Doing this when you are stressed helps to rejuvenate the body and relax the stress response.
- To dry brush use a natural bristle brush.
- Get in the bathtub naked and stand there
- Start by brushing your feet in circular motions and move upwards
- Brush each area and be gentle on the sensitive parts such as breasts and genital area
- After dry brushing, the whole body takes a shower of Do not bath in too hot water; keep it moderate to improve blood circulation.
5. Drink plenty of water
Drinking water is very crucial for keeping all the systems in our body in best shape. This includes balancing the endocrine system that is responsible to produce stress hormone. When the body is dehydrated, it naturally stimulates stress hormones. If you drink around 240ml of water during stress, it helps to reduce the stress response and set the body for the state of repair. Also, in the morning, drink 2 big glasses of water and a ¾ glass of water every 2 to 3 hours. Do not drink water just before or immediately after having food. Sipping a little is fine but only drink water ½ an hour before having food and 1 hour after having food.
6. Ground your body
In our everyday lives, we are surrounded by electronic gadgets. We even roam around with a phone in our pockets. These devices emit EMFs, which put stress on our nervous system by altering the function of the neurotransmitters. In the evening, go for a walk on the grass, sand or dirt to remove all the residual EMF in the body and become balanced with the natural EMF. This balances electrical rhythms in the body.
Licorice has been used in traditional medicines to treat ulcers and adrenal insufficiency. It contains triterpenoid saponins, which balances the cortisol-cortisone in the body. The glycyrrhizin present in licorice interacts with aldosterone receptors in the kidney and balances the blood pressure.Taking 2 to 5 grams of per day is sufficient to experience the stress-relieving benefits of Licorice. The best way to consume licorice is in the form of tea.
8. Iced Licorice Honey Tea
- Take a teapot and add 2 tea bags
- Add 3tsps of-of licorice root powder
- Bring the water to boil in a kettle
- Add the boiled water to the teapot and let it steep for 8 to 10 minutes
- Put 2 tsp of honey to sweeten the tea
- Add an ice cube
9. Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo Biloba is known to enhance blood circulation and improve the function of the neurological system. Having Ginko Biloba has shown to increase energy in the body by stimulating endorphins and decreasing the stress hormones. It significantly lowers the level of cortisol and glucose in the body. People with problems of bleeding should avoid the intake of GinkgoBiloba as it thins the blood and increases the risk of bleeding. Ginkgo Biloba is available in the tablet form or powder. It can be consumed in the morning or evening, on empty stomach or after having food.
- Boil 2 cups of water in a saucepan
- Add 1 ounce of dried Ginkgo Biloba leaves
- Let it steep for 8 to 10 minutes
- Strain and serve.
Ashwagandha is a medicinal root that is extensively using in Ayurvedic tradition to cure potency and energy-related problems. It is useful in promoting relaxation and sleep. It balances the level of testosterone and DHEA-S in the body. Ashwagandha is available in the form of liquid, capsule or tablet. Usually, ayurvedic practitioners advice their patients to take up to 7 grams of ashwagandha per day.
Astragalus builds immunity in the body and lowers the level of cortisol. It reduces the stress and fights fatigue in the body. Astragalus is extensively used in the Chinese medicine and is combined with Eleuthero and Rehmannia for enhancing the benefits. It contains the bioactive compounds such as saponins, isoflavonoids, GABA-aminobutyric acid and triterpenoids. These balance the hormone level, blood pressure, reduce inflammation and balance the water content in the body.
- In a large pot, bring the water to boil.
- Add 1 onions, 10 cloves of diced garlic, 15 ml olive oil and 1 ½ inch node of ginger
- Continue boiling until all the ingredients are soft and aromatic
- Add sliced shitake, 5 pieces of dried astragalus, 1 ½ cup of chicken or vegetable broth and 1 large sliced reishi mushroom
- Simmer it for 2 hours
- Turn off the heat and let it sit for 2 more hours
- Remove the fresh mushrooms and astragalus
- Add pepper, and salt for taste
12. Additional Tips to cure adrenal fatigue
- Avoid drinking coffee and sugary drinks
- Massage with essential oils to soothe and calm the nervous system
- Sleep at the same time every day and for 8 hour
- Have regular movement of our body. A sedentary lifestyle increases stress on the body. Involve in activities such as cycling, walking and playing to reduce inflammation and heal the adrenals.
- Seek advice from a chiropractor to relieve the production of stress hormones and enhance the sympathetic tone.
- Listen to light and meditational music to boost the endorphins and serotonin.
- Perform easy deep breathing exercises
- Visualize positive things you have to manifest in your life
- Play more with pets and kids. Brains in human beings are biologically made to play.
- Switch off or keep the cell phones away during your sleep.
- Heal your gut from infections related to Candida, H Pylori, and SIBO
- Expose your body to sun for boosting up the Vitamin D levels