Pets are lovely but, the most amount of trouble occurs when fleas get inside the home. They not only pester the pets but, also hinder human health.
Flea bite cause red and itchy bumps. These bumps usually occur on the feet and around the ankle. But, the good news is that you can tackle the flea bites at your home itself. You need not rush to the pharmacy or consult your doctor to manage the bumps. They can be managed at home with the help of these super easy and effective home remedies.
We bring to you the best and the most effective home remedies for flea bites on humans. Take a look:
Wash with soapy water and apply an ice pack
If your ankles and feet are sore due to flea bites, the best thing you can do is to wash it with soapy water and instantly apply ice pack. This is the best way to tackle itchiness as well as redness. This is the easiest remedy for flea bites on humans.
To follow this remedy,
- Take warm soapy water. Do not take too hot water as this can exacerbate the inflammation.
- Wash all the affected areas this water.
- Wipe the area and apply antiseptic.
- Now apply an ice pack. For this purpose, you can also bring in use a bog full of frozen vegetables.
- Apply the ice pack for about ten minutes.
- Now remove the pack for ten minutes. You need to follow this cycle at least 2 times in one hour.
This remedy will help you to get rid of swelling and irritation.
Calamine lotion is easily available in every household. This calamine lotion is very effective in case of a flea bite. It contains ferric oxide that helps in reducing the itchiness.
You can also use hydrocortisone ointment. It is a mild steroid ointment.
- Take any of the above mentioned over- the- counter lotion and apply on the affected area to get rid of itchiness.
Another amazing remedy for flea bite on humans is coconut pulp. You might have heard about the miraculous antiseptic effects of coconut oil but, coconut pulp is the remedy of choice for flea bite on humans. This remedy helps in bringing down the swelling due to a flea bite. All you need to do is:
- Mash a coconut
- Put the pieces of coconut pieces in the mixer blender. Blend it until it is smooth.
- Take the paste and apply it onto the affected areas.
- Wrap a towel around the area and let it stay for one hour.
Follow this remedy around three times a day. Do it before you hit the bed. This home remedy for flea bit will effectively reduce the swelling.
Aloe Vera Gel
When the fleas irritate you to the core by biting you, aloe vera gel comes to your rescue. Aloe vera gel has always been a great remedy for several skin allergies and other problems and flea bite is not at all an exception. Aloe vera gel is effective in this irritating issue too.
- For this home remedy, you can use fresh aloe vera gel squeezed out of the leaf or you can buy commercially available aloe vera gel.
- Rub the leaf directly on the affected area or apply the gel.
Tea tastes delicious but, its utility is not limited to tickle your taste buds. It can do much more than that. Tea can help in flea bite. This is an easy and effective home remedy for flea bite. You can use either green or black tea for this purpose. All you need to do is,
- Take tea bags. You can use black, green, lavender tea or any other tea and apply the tea bag directly on the affected area. This will help to deal with the manifestations of flea bite like itching, redness, and swelling.
Oatmeal bath is another excellent remedy used for flea bite. Taking a tepid oatmeal bath helps to subside itching and redness and so, it is an effective home remedy for flea bite. You can make an oatmeal bath at home and if you do not want to do it yourself, just head to the nearby drugstore or grocery to get the one.
- Soak in the oatmeal bath to get relief in flea bite.
Basil leaves have strong medicinal properties. They have healing and soothing properties. Basil leaves are easily available in every household.
- Take some basil leaves. You can also use calendula leaves for that matter.
- Crush the leaves to make a paste.
- Apply the crushed basil leaves on the area that are affected due to the bite to get quick relief.
- Alternatively, you can also use basil oil. Apply one or two drops of basil oil on the affected area to treat flea bite.
Baking soda is effective in treating many skin infections. It is also very effective in case of a flea bite. Baking soda possesses soothing properties and hence, when applied on the irritated area it helps in soothing the skin.
- Take some baking soda.
- Add some water in order to make a paste.
- Apply it on the areas affected due to a flea bite.
This remedy for flea bite helps in healing the inflamed skin. It is easy to use and also, it shows very quick results.
Echinacea flowers are a great home remedy for skin inflamed due to a flea bite. You can easily make a skin wash of Echinacea at home. You would need warm water and Echinacea flowers for that.
- Rinse the affected area with the skin wash of Echinacea.
- Use a tincture of Echinacea for quick results. Apply a few drops of tincture of Echinacea on the affected area.
Lemon juice when applied on the areas with flea bites, it helps in soothing the affected skin. It also possesses antibacterial properties and hence, it qualifies as the best home remedies for flea bites. Lemon juice relieves itching too.
- Apply lemon juice directly on the affected area to sooth the skin.
Lavender oil helps in bringing down the inflammation at a great extent and hence, it is touted among the best remedies for flea bites on human. It disinfects the area.
- Apply lavender oil directly to the affected area.
Peppermint too is very effective in flea bite. You can either use peppermint leaves or peppermint oil for this purpose.
- Apply crushed peppermint leaves on the irritated area.
- Or, apply peppermint oil on the area irritated by the bite.
If you have a pet, you must have dealt with flea bites. But, it is not necessary that flea only makes way to our home if we have pets, they can come at any time and make us their soft target. They bite humans and cause red, itchy bumps. The itchiness, swelling, and redness occurring after flea bite are due to the reaction of the protein present in the saliva of the flea.
The signs and symptoms of flea bite include:
- The occurrence of typical reddish raised bumps.
- Swelling around the bitten area.
- The bumps usually occur on feet, legs, ankles, and crooks of our elbows.
- The itchiness associated with flea bite can occur on the actual site where the flea has bitten or other extended sites too. A person can feel itching on other extended areas of the skin.
There are several people who are very allergic to flea bites. When a flea bites on their skin, they develop hives.
Fleas that come from rodents are quite infectious. They can lead to typhus. Typhus is quite dangerous as it can be fatal in young children, elderly people, and immune-compromised patients. These people should take extra care of their condition. Typhus can be treated easily. Symptoms include fever, chills, non- contagious rash, and headache. This is also dangerous because if a single family member is affected, it can spread to other members of the family too.
Flea bites can lead to an allergic reaction in some people. It can be a dangerous condition. It is a medical emergency. The symptoms of the allergic reaction include shortness of breath, wheezing, swelling on the tongue or on the lips, chest pain, nausea, and dizziness.
The person who is dealing with flea bites must not scratch the rash as it can lead to the spread of the infection.
Flea bites can be dangerous. They can transmit many diseases like bartonellosis, plague (Yersinia pestis, flea tapeworm, tungiasis, and typhus. You would know that your home is attacked by fleas when your pet begins to scratch, bite and lick himself. Whenever you observe you’re doing anything like this, beware, it could be due to flea bites.
Flea bites can be treated easily by the above-mentioned home remedies. The remedies for flea bites in human are sure to give you positive recovery in no time.