Pink eye, which is also known as conjunctivitis is quite a nasty eye infection. It can cause a lot of pain irritation and discomfort to the eyes. Pink eyes can be bacterial, viral, allergic or chlamydial. Bacterial and viral conjunctivitis affect one eye while allergic pink eyes affect both the eyes.
Though the pink eye does not require treatment as the symptoms resolve in only ten days, there are certain home remedies that speed up the recovery process. These home remedies help in subsiding the symptoms at the earliest and also, they help to comfort the eyes of the person who is suffering from this eye infection.
Here are the easy and quick home remedies for pink eyes:
Basil leaves also known as holy basil or more commonly tulsi is an amazing home remedy for pink eyes. Tulsi has earned a great reputation for its amazing healing powers and here too, tulsi works wonders to treat the symptoms of pink eyes. It has soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. It saves the eyes from free radicals and any sort of environmental damage. It helps in fighting bacterial, fungal as well as a viral infection of the eyes.
To use this remedy, all you need to do is:
- Boil some water.
- Soak basil leaves in this water for about ten minutes.
- Strain the water and use it for washing the eyes.
- You can alternatively, soak a cloth or a cotton pad in this water and use as a compress.
Another natural ingredient which is very helpful in relieving pink eyes is honey. Manuka honey contains dihydroxyacetone.
To use this remedy,
- Take ¼ teaspoon, raw honey.
- Take ¼ cup of distilled water or boil water for about five minutes and then let it cool.
- Mix honey in this water.
- Add a pinch of sea salt.
- Use it as an eye drop (1 to 2 drops in each eye) every few hours.
Green tea works very effectively to treat pink eyes. The reason behind the miraculous effects of green tea is treating pink eyes is the presence of bioflavonoids in green tea. These bioflavonoids help in relieving irritation as well as inflammation brought about by the infection. Green tea helps the eyes in fighting against viral and bacterial infections.
- Take green tea bags and boil some water.
- Dip the bags in the water.
- Now place the bags on the infected eyes.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a cup of green tea, soak a washcloth in the tea and make a warm compress.
Not just green tea but, many other kinds of teas are very helpful in treating pink eyes. You can take some help from fennel tea, chamomile tea, calendula tea, etc
- Make any of the fennel/ chamomile/ calendula tea.
- Soak a washcloth.
- Use the hot compress to relieve the infection.
- Another way to use the remedy is by popping up the capsules.
- You can also take them in tea form.
- You can also use them as eye rinses.
One thing to keep in mind is that if you are allergic to ragweed, you must not use chamomile or calendula.
Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel is an outstanding remedy for pink eyes. Aloe vera has some amazing compounds namely emodin and aloin. These compounds have antiviral as well as antibacterial properties. Also, aloe vera helps in reducing inflammation and soothes the eyes.
This is an easy remedy to follow. All you need to do is,
- Apply aloe vera gel around your eyes and eyelids to relieve the infection.
- You can also use the eye drops containing aloe vera extracts.
Breast milk is another home remedy in the list of best home remedies for pink eyes. It works amazingly in treating pink eyes.
Breast milk contains an antibody, immunoglobulin A. This keeps the bacterial infection from sticking to the eye mucosa. IT does not allow the infection to grow and fights it.
For this remedy,
- Take a clean spoon and take breast milk.
- Place the milk on the surface of the eye.
- Lift the lid in order to circulate the breast milk underneath.
- Follow this remedy 3 times for a few days or until pink eye infection subsides.
Neem is a magical remedy that is used in the treatment of many infections because of its rich antibacterial properties. IT soothes the skin and gives a big relief in many infections. In conjunctivitis too, neem helps in soothing the eyes. The antibacterial properties help in controlling the infection and it also soothes the pink eyes.
- Apply neem oil around the eyes as well as eyelid before hitting the bed.
Turmeric is also known for its healing properties. It brings down the inflammation and possesses antibacterial properties. In pink eyes too, turmeric is very helpful in relieving the symptoms. For this remedy,
- Take 2 tablespoons of turmeric.
- Boil one cup of water and mix turmeric in it.
- Soak a cotton pad or a washcloth in this mixture.
- Use it as a warm compress to relieve pink eyes.
Salt Water Wash
Sterile salt water or saline is given a quick relief from pink eyes. This is the easiest way to get relief from the irritation and discomfort caused by pink eyes.
- Wash your eyes with sterile saltwater or saline several times a day to relieve irritated eyes.
Colloidal silver has many benefits, one of which is relieving pink eyes infection. Colloidal silver, when applied to the pink eyes, helps in fighting the infection by electromagnetically catching the infected cells. It then leaves the infected cell into the bloodstream in order to eliminate them.
Warm and Cold Compress
Warm and cold compress is one of the most effective and easiest home remedies for pink eyes. Using warm or cold compress helps in relieving the pain caused by the infection. Also, if you are getting irritated by the discharge from the viral or bacterial pink eyes infection, you can use a warm and cold compress to arrest it.
For this remedy,
- For a warm compress, take a washcloth, soak it into warm water and apply directly onto the eyes.
- For cold compress, take a washcloth, soak it into chilled water and apply directly onto the eyes.
You need to be very cautious with hygiene measures. Always use a very clean and soft washcloth and use separate cloths for each eye or else, it can lead to spreading of infection. 4
Potatoes not just taste delicious but, also work well in many conditions. In pink eye infection, raw potatoes help in soothing the irritated eyes. Using raw potatoes in the pink eye is very effective and easy pink eye remedy.
- Take a cool potato. You can put the potato in the refrigerator before using this remedy.
- Slice it and place it on the infected eyes.
This remedy will soothe the eyes and you will instantly feel better.
Symptoms of Pink Eyes
The symptoms of pink eye include:
- Redness in white region of eyes
- Burning sensation in eyes
- Tearing in eyes
- Soreness and mild pain in the conjunctiva
- Yellowish- green discharge from the infected eyes. It can lead to sticking of the eyelashes and also the formation of the crust during the night.
- Swelling on upper eyelid making it look droopy
The symptoms of viral conjunctivitis are also the same. The only difference is that in viral conjunctivitis, more watery fluid is discharged from the eyes.
Causes of Pink Eyes:
Viral conjunctivitis can be due to adenovirus, poxvirus, varicella-zoster, herpes virus as well as HIV virus. The infection resolves within 2 to 4 weeks. It can’t be treated by antibiotics. It stays contagious for 10 to 12 days.
Conjunctivitis can also occur due to allergy or irritation. It affects both the eyes. It could be due to animal hair, dust mites, and pollens.
Any kind of pink eye infection can be treated with the home remedies mentioned in this article. These home remedies for pink eyes are quick, effective and safe to use.
Pink eye infection is quite common. Before you use any medication or remedy, it is important to understand this eye infection.
Pink eye is also known as conjunctivitis. It is an eye infection characterized by redness, itching, swelling, thick white drainage and tearing. It can be due to bacteria or virus. Pink eye is highly contagious and so, it is also very common.
Pink eye caused by bacterial infection subsides in 10 days without a need of treatment but, the infection caused by virus takes 2 to 4 weeks to go.
The infected person will experience swelling and tenderness of the eyes and burning and itching of eyelids.
Viral conjunctivitis is more common that bacterial conjunctivitis.