Are you frustrated because your partner keeps snoring all night long? Have you been losing a lot of sleep lately due to your spouse snoring loudly at night? Snoring can be equally bad for people sharing a bed as it reduces sleep quality. It disrupts the sleep cycles and can make a person feel tired during the daytime. Without good sleep, it is tough to successfully carry out day-to-day tasks. This decreases the productivity at work and home. So if you are aloud snorer, get help right away to make your family have good sleep at night.
image: shutterstock By Lucky Business
Snoring is triggered when your body goes to sleep and causes relaxation of the throat. If left ignored it can lead to insomnia, irritability, and depression. There are people who have experienced life-threatening consequences due to snoring including accidents, and body disorders such as blood pressure, heart attacks, and migraine headaches.Usually, if you visit a doctor, he or she might prescribe you medications that come along with side effects. These can, in turn, give you more health problems. Actually most snoring is easy to fix if you follow a certain lifestyle, habits and herbal remedies. Below are various remedies that you can follow to be free of the snoring problem.
1. Sleeping on the sides
Snoring is a phenomenon that happens mainly when a person sleeps upfront. If snoring is a new problem or in the initial stages, you can get relief by doing this simple trick. Just change your position to sleeping sideways. Also, using a good pillow helps to maintain this position. Sleeping sideways have shown to relax the muscles in the body and it prevents the throat from blocking the passageways of breathing. A good old remedy for avoiding you from turning into a position other than sides is to tape a small ball preferably tennis ball in your back. This avoids rolling on the bed and taking a position on the back. If you have a bed in the recline position, angle it slightly into ahead up position to help open the nasal airway passages.
2. Goldenseal and Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil has been extensively used in so many herbal remedies related to breathing. It has soothing properties that come from the menthol in it. In case of snoring, it helps to prevent the congestion in the chest or nasal cavity. Use a few drops of peppermint oil to relieve congestion caused in the throat by freeing the breathing passageways. Goldenseal can be used along with peppermint oil to enhance the benefits. It comes in a powder or in a capsule. You can prepare a cup of tea made from goldenseal and peppermint to relieve the interruption in your sleep with snoring.
- Boil 4 cups of water in a kettle
- Take a teapot and add 3 to 4 leaves of peppermint
- Add a tsp of Goldenseal powder to the teapot
- Add the water from the kettle to the teapot
- Let it steep for 3 to 5 minutes
- Strain and add 2 tsp of honey
3. Fenugreek and Spearmint
Snoring is greatly affected by digestion problems. Spearmint and Fenugreek can help you by strengthening the digestion system and decreases the chances of snoring at night. Often people are observed to be snoring after having a heavy meal. This is caused due to indigestion. Consuming Fenugreek and Spearmint will alleviate this problem and cure other digestive problems such as acid reflux in the stomach. These herbs are also effective in fighting sleep apnea.
- Boil 1 cup of water in a saucepan
- Add 1 tsp of crushed fenugreek seed powder to the teapot
- Add 3 to 4 leaves of Spearmint
- Transfer the water from the saucepan to the teapot
- Let it steep for 3 to 5 minutes
- Strain and add 2 tsp of honey
4. Vitamin C
The airways of our body can be obstructed by the sinuses causing opening of the mouth and uvula, which is an extension of the soft palate that hangs from the throat. It creates an annoying sound due to its vibration. With the intake of vitamin C, this action can be prevented. Vitamin C has antioxidants, which helps to promote a healthy immune system. It clears sinuses and prevents them from causing snoring. Consuming foods such as pineapple, papaya, red bell pepper and broccoli at night helps to prevent the sinus blockages during sleep.
5. Peppermint and Eucalyptus
Eucalyptus is been used from the ancient times to get comfort from chest colds. Applying a few drops of eucalyptus oil to the chest area will provide significant relaxation from congestion in the air passageways of the body. Also using a steam inhaler with eucalyptus oil will help to clear the sinuses.
- Take a steam bowl and put 3 to 4 drops of eucalyptus oil
- Add 5 drops of peppermint essential oil,
- Lean over the bowl and take in the fumes
- Do this every night before going to bed for 2 weeks to cure the problem of snoring.
Note: Do not pour excess of essential oils as they can create burning sensation in the nasal passageways.
6. Manage your bodyweight
If you are overweight, the chances of snoring at night are higher. Because of excess weight in the body, especially surrounding the neck, the throat can get narrower as you lay down. This obstructs the breathing and creates the loud noise. Studies conducted by Lung India have shown that greater the circumference of the neck, higher are the chances of being overweight and having the problem of snoring at night. So check your eating habits and regular exercise to lose weight over time. Eat more proteins and fibers rather than just carbohydrates during your meals. Do not completely avoid taking carbohydrates but reduce their portions to give your body the necessary room to remove toxins and adipose tissue.
7. Use a Humidifier
One of the key reasons that increase the possibility of snoring is less humidity in the air. As one is breathing air that is dry, the nasal membranes and throat start to dry up and this creates congestion. It restricts the natural breathing and causes vibration in the tissues. Using a humidifier at home can help you to eliminate this problem and support natural breathing throughout the night. Add a few drops of essential oil such as Eucalyptus and peppermint in Humidifier to get greater benefits.
8. Do tongue and throat exercises.
Having good flexibility in the tongue and throat helps to relax the throat area better. It puts the lower and upper molars in a good position and sits gently on each other. A simple exercise would be to wide open your mouth and close it for 10 to 20 times. This will cause relaxation and induce a good feeling on the back of the mouth opening. Similarly put your tongue outside and take it in, move it up and down to 10 times.
9. Do not have heavy meals and dairy products at night.
Drinking milk before going to bed is considered good for having a sound sleep but if a person has a snoring problem, he or she must avoid it. Having dairy products makes snoring even worse. It creates thick mucus in the throat, which adds more blockage to the airways. Also, avoid eating heavy oily meals before bedtime. It can push the diaphragm up and affect the breathing rhythm.
10. Remove the allergens from your room
Allergens can cause inflammation in the nasal passageways and create congestion. Dust your drapes, floors, pillowcases, and sheets to alleviate the stuffiness in the nasal cavity. If you have a seasonal problem of snoring, then you should check whether it happens during the year when there is pollen in the air. To alleviate pollen allergies you can have herbal teas made with dried ginger, stinging nettle, peppermint, Lemon balm or honey. Create a mixture of 1 parts of peppermint, rooibos, yerba mate, lemon balm and nettle tea each and use it in the infuser to make tea while you have pollen allergies. This will help you to get relief from snoring at night.
11. Additional Tips to Stop Someone From Snoring
- While sleeping raises your head with a pillow. Elevating for about 4 inches keeps the airways open and reduces snoring
- Use a nasal dilator to increase the nasal passage by creating more space
- Treat your chronic allergies. Having allergies can reduce the flow of air through the nose, which makes a person to breathe with force. This causes sound.
- If there are any structural problems in the nose correct it. The misalignments that separate the sides of the nose can restrict the flow of air and create the snoring effect. Talk to your doctor and get it diagnosed.
- Avoid drinking alcohol before bedtime. Alcohol relaxes the muscles in the throat and causes snoring.
- Limit the intake of sedatives.
- Avoid smoking as it worsens snoring.
- Make sure you get enough hours of sleep, at least 8 hours every day